At St Leonard’s Church, Horringer, we have a ring of eight bells. The heaviest, the tenor, weighs 9cwt, and is tuned to the scale of Ab. The oldest three bells have been dated as pre-1553; however, they were all recast and made into a ring of six bells in 1818. In 1912, two new trebles were added to make our present ring of eight bells, and as our tower is not very big, the bells are hung in two tiers, with the third and fourth hung above the rest. They were re-hung in 1952, and since then have been maintained to allow ringing to continue. The bells are rung on Sundays from 10.30am to 11am, and on the second and fourth Thursday of each month from 7.3opm to 9pm.
There is currently a ‘Peal Appeal’ under way, in order to raise upwards of £40,000 to fund the restoration and refurbishment of the bells. To date, £17,000 has been raised, with £20,000 in our sights! In due course the bells will be lowered, and will be available to view in the church prior to dispatch for major overhaul. Some may need to be recast, and all will be retuned. A series of events is planned, including a Jazz Night, and a metal collection, as well as regular coffee mornings in the church.
Our Tower Captain is Sally Crouch, and we have a well established team of ringers but if anyone is interested in joining us we would be happy to ‘teach them the ropes’.
We are affiliated to the Suffolk Guild of Ringers and also the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers